CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, January 05, 2008

Not Special

I really hate hearing how "special" I am for being in my particular line of work. I work in a retirement community and it makes me cringe when anyone tells me how I'm so "special" for devoting my life to working with the elderly. The reason I'm not special? Because I'd leave like a rat from a sinking ship if the opportunity ever presented itself and I'd do the jig of joy on the way out and then I'd go celebrate by having a margarita or a couple of beers!
The elderly are just people. The only thing about me that may be "special" is that I don't condescend to them. I treat them like I'd treat anybody else.
I have all the regard in the world for people that REALLY want to be in this line of work. They are overworked, underpaid and underappreciated. It is they, not the overpaid athletes and Hollywood types, that deserve the acclaim. But I am not one of them. I ended up in this line of work out of necessity. My sore muscles, screwed-up back and depressed mood when I have to go to work say it all. I want out. But at over 40, broke and with mental problems it ain't bloody likely. So I continue doing the same old same old and hoping for a miracle.

0 comments: